Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Say no to verbitating!


Every writer is taught to avoid clichés. I would implore that we do the same in our business communications. We should not only avoid the tired language of clichés but deep-six the use of buzzwords and catchphrases that creep into everyday conversations around the water cooler, in the conference room and, in and around our cubicles.

You know what I’m talking about. Phrases such as “at the end of the day,” “add value” and “win-win scenario,” and buzzwords such as “socialize” and “transparency.” When you utter these over-used phrases you are saying one of two things – I can’t come up with my own words to express my thoughts (read: lazy) or I’m trying to sound smart (read: not so smart).

English is a beautiful language filled with hundreds of under-utilized words. Let’s start using them. We’ll all be, and sound, smarter for the effort.

Today, I heard a new one – efforting. Effort is a perfectly good noun. Let’s keep it that way. It does not need to be a verb as well. Unfortunately, in recent months, I’ve seen a lot of this verbitating (yes, I made that one up. Shame on me!). “Let’s calendar a meeting sometime next week, Phyllis.” Argghhh. “Let’s dialogue about that new product roll-out, Bobby.” Blech.

Come on, people. There are perfectly good words to use instead of “calendar” and “dialogue” that are indeed verbs. How about “schedule” and “discuss.” What’s wrong with them? Unfortunately, one person hears someone slyly work “calendar” into conversation as a verb and they then turn around and repeat it. It’s an epidemic!

So, please, let’s go back to using nouns as nouns and verbs as verbs. That way, we’ll all do a better job of communicating. Oh, and lay off the clichés, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment